Cookie use on MRCVSonline
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies.
If you would like to forward this story on to a friend, simply fill in the form below and click send.

Your friend's email:
Your email:
Your name:
 
 
Send Cancel

Dog that killed owner ‘had probably consumed cocaine’
Mario Perivoitos died in March after receiving serious injuries from his Staffordshire Bull terrier, Major.

Inquest hears that dog’s urine contained high levels of the drug

A dog that mauled its owner to death had most likely ingested crack cocaine, an inquest has heard.

Mario Perivoitos died in March after receiving serious injuries from his Staffordshire Bull terrier, named Major. The incident took place at his home in North London, during which a BBC film crew were present.

According to The Guardian, an inquest heard that the behaviour of the dog could have been triggered by crack cocaine. Veterinary toxicologist Nicholas Carmichael informed the court that samples indicating high levels of morphine and cocaine were found in the dog’s urine.

He has been quoted by Mail Online as saying: “It is very likely that this dog had consumed drugs, probably eaten them. It is almost impossible to say whether that will make the dog attack, but it does make them respond abnormally.

“They become very excited and agitated. It is more likely that this attack happened because this dog had taken cocaine.”

Pathologist
Dr Julie Higgins added: “The body included injuries to the neck and face with extensive haemorrhaging and the larynx was crushed.”

The BBC had been filming with Mr Perivoitos for the television series ‘Drugs Map of Britain’ when he suffered a seizure. The court learned that Joshua Haddow, the programme’s producer, was able to pull Major off his owner, but it was too late to save him. The dog had crushed his owner’s larynx, causing him to lose huge amounts of blood.

Andrew Walker, the senior coroner, deduced that Mr Perivoitos died as a result of his injuries He also told the inquest that the victim had taken cocaine before the attack occurred.

“It is likely that he was experiencing an epileptic shock which caused the dog to nip his face before biting his neck,” he said. “The film crew telephoned an ambulance whilst attempting to get the dog off Mr Perivoitos. “It is likely that the dog had consumed cocaine by eating it and it is likely that this was an additional factor in the dog's behaviour.”

Mr Walker thanked Joshua Haddow and his colleagues for their effors to save Mr Perivoitos. The police told the court that Major was due to be euthanised. 

Become a member or log in to add this story to your CPD history

Sale of microbeads now banned

News Story 1
 The sale of products containing microbeads is now banned across England and Scotland, Defra has confirmed.

As part of government efforts to prevent these plastics ending up in the marine environment, retailers can no longer sell rinse-off cosmetics and personal care products containing microbeads. These tiny plastics were often added to products including face scrubs, soaps, toothpaste and shower gels.

Just a single shower is thought to send 100,000 of these beads down the drain and into the ocean, where it can cause serious harm to marine life. A ban on manufacturing products containing microbeads previously came into force in January this year. 

Click here for more...
News Shorts
George Eustice announces funding for Bovine Viral Diarrhoea

Farming minister George Eustice has announced a £5.7million funding package to help farmers tackle Bovine Viral Diarrhoea (BVD).

The funding will be available in England for three years through the Rural Development Programme and farmers will be able to apply for one-to-one farm advisory visits by a veterinary practitioner.

The project will recruit local vets who will then work with keepers of breeding cattle to tackle BVD on their farms.