Cookie use on MRCVSonline
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies.
If you would like to forward this story on to a friend, simply fill in the form below and click send.

Your friend's email:
Your email:
Your name:
 
 
Send Cancel

Dogs at risk from snakebites, warns PDSA
Cookie
Cookie's face swelled within minutes of being bitten.

Recent prolonged sunny spells could mean that snakebites are more common

The PDSA is urging dog owners to beware of snakes in woods and grassland after saving the life of greyhound Cookie, who was bitten on Cannock Chase in Staffordshire. The eight-year-old dog is now recovering after a near-fatal encounter with an adder at the popular beauty spot.

Owner Lynn Pallatina said: "I didn't know what had happened to Cookie at first, she was sniffing around and then jumped back suddenly.
I saw the end of a snake but I didn’t think she’d actually been bitten – I thought they tended to stay away from people and other animals.  But then she just lay down on the ground, opening and closing her mouth and within three minutes her face had started to swell badly so I knew something was wrong. I took her straight to PDSA and they asked if it was possible Cookie had been bitten by something, it was only then that it clicked it may have been the adder.”

Kay Brough, head nurse at Wolverhampton PDSA said:  "Adder bites to dogs are thankfully quite rare but when seen they are usually on the face or limbs, most likely as a result of the snake attacking in self-defence after being disturbed by an inquisitive dogs.

"The venom causes severe, rapid swelling and two small puncture wounds may be visible at the centre. The dog can also show signs of acute pain and may appear nervous or apprehensive. If not treated it can cause them to collapse and can even be fatal. Any owner noticing these symptoms should call their vet immediately for advice. Do not touch the wound, as this can spread the venom further."

She goes on to advise that if you do see an adder, do not try to approach it or photograph it. "The venom is toxic to humans too, although it isn't usually fatal due to our larger size. Keep your distance and put your dog on a lead immediately."

PDSA is the UK's leading veterinary charity, providing free treatment for the sick and injured pets of eligible owners in need. The charity receives no government or national lottery funding for its PetAid services, relying entirely on generous public support. For more information visit www.pdsa.org.uk.

Become a member or log in to add this story to your CPD history

Petplan Veterinary Awards 2020 open for nominations

News Story 1
 Nominations are open for the 2020 Petplan Veterinary Awards, a prestigious event that pays recognition to some of the UKs most notable veterinary professionals.

We have been recognising the brilliant work of the UKs veterinary professionals through the Petplan Veterinary Awards for 21 years now and every year the standard of entries just gets higher, said James Barnes, head of sales and partnerships at Petplan.

To nominate a colleague for the awards visit petplanvet.co.uk/vetawards, before nominations close on 16th January 2020. Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on 2 April 2020 in Birmingham. 

Click here for more...
News Shorts
BEVA survey seeks views about antibiotic use in horses

Equine vets are being invited to participate in a BEVA survey that aims to find out more about antimicrobial resistance in equine veterinary practice.

Designed by researchers at the University of Liverpool and incoming BEVA president Tim Mair, the survey aims to fill gaps in knowledge about how antimicrobials are being used in equine practice and the landscape of resistant infections encountered in equine practice.

Researchers hope the results will lead to a greater understanding of the role of antimicrobial treatment and antimicrobial resistance in horses and protect antibiotics for the future of equine and human health.