Your data on MRCVSonline
The nature of the services provided by Vision Media means that we might obtain certain information about you.
Please read our Data Protection and Privacy Policy for details.

In addition, (with your consent) some parts of our website may store a 'cookie' in your browser for the purposes of
functionality or performance monitoring.
Click here to manage your settings.
If you would like to forward this story on to a friend, simply fill in the form below and click send.

Your friend's email:
Your email:
Your name:
 
 
Send Cancel

XL bully owners can now apply for exemption
The transition period will run until 31 January 2024.
Transition period has started before ban comes into force.

Owners of XL bully dogs can now apply for a Certificate of Exemption, after the Government announced the transition period has begun before the breed is banned.

Applications for a certificate can be made online. Owners will need to pay a £92.40 application fee and have third party liability insurance for banned breeds of dogs in place before they apply.

Owners will also have to make sure their dog has been microchipped, which is already a legal requirement for all dogs, and that their dog has been neutered by a certain date (depending on the age of the dog).

The transition period will run until 31 January 2024. From 1 February 2024, owners without a Certificate of Exemption face the risk of being prosecuted and could receive an unlimited fine.

Some of the rules concerning XL bully dogs will come into force before then. From 31 December 2023, it will be illegal to breed, sell, give away, rehome, or abandon an XL bully. When in public, XL bully dogs will be required to be kept muzzled and on a lead.

If an owner does not wish to apply for a Certificate of Exemption, they can choose to have their dog euthanised. The Government has put in place a compensation scheme, with forms available online for owners and veterinary surgeons.

Chief veterinary officer Christine Middlemiss said: “It is important that XL bully owners read the guidance and take all the necessary steps.

“This includes applying for a Certificate of Exemption if you want to keep your dog and ensuring they are muzzle trained by the end of the year, as your dog will need to be muzzled and on a lead in public after 31 December 2023.

“XL breeders should have also now stopped breeding their dogs and I would advise all owners to make an appointment with your vet to get your XL Bully neutered as soon as possible.”

Responding to the news, BVNA president Lyndsay Hughes said: “All members of the veterinary team are likely to be faced with the very real possibility of assisting with euthanasia of young and healthy animals.

“Whilst we recognise in the case of any aggressive dog presenting to the practice that this is a viable treatment option, we will explore all other options whilst considering human safety before this final step.

“If presented with an XL Bully dog, whether aggressive or not, the options to the veterinary team will now be much more limited. The offer of compensating for the partial costs of the euthanasia may go some way to alleviating the client’s suffering, but this will have a serious impact of the wellbeing of the veterinary team faced with this task.”

Image © Shutterstock

Become a member or log in to add this story to your CPD history

Applications open for MMI research grants

News Story 1
 RCVS' Mind Matters Initiative (MMI) has launched round two of its veterinary mental health research grants.

Researchers have until 11.59pm on Wednesday, 28 May 2025 to apply for a grant for research which reflects MMI's 2025 focus areas.

Only one Impact Grant was awarded last year, and so this year there are two Discovery Grants and one Impact Grants available. Each Discovery Grant is worth £5,000 and the Impact Grant is worth £15,000.

For more information or to apply, email researchgrants@rcvs.org.uk to contact the MMI team.

 

Click here for more...
News Shorts
Germany livestock import ban lifted

The UK government has amended its ban on the import of livestock, meat and dairy products from Germany.

Defra said the decision follows 'rigorous technical assessment' of the measures applied and the current situation. "If the situation changes, we will not hesitate to take necessary action in response to the FMD outbreaks in the European Union to protect our domestic biosecurity," it said.

The ban was implemented in January following an outbreak of foot and mouth disease (FMD) near Berlin. Personal imports of meat, milk and dairy products will remain in place at a country level.