The fire broke out close to the Milton Keynes Veterinary Group during the extreme heatwave.
A veterinary practice in Milton Keynes was evacuated after a fire broke out at a neighbouring property during the unprecedented UK heatwave.
“Tuesday 19th July started like any other Tuesday for us, but the day took a dramatic turn...” reports the Milton Keynes Veterinary Group.
“A fire was reported to the emergency services at around midday, and what started off as a small fence fire within seconds spread to the neighbouring nursery, engulfing the ceiling and then went on to the houses behind.”
The team was evacuated to the nearby Tawny Owl pub, where they were offered shelter in the cellar. The cellar provided a safe, cool space for patients and an emergency room for pets that had been evacuated from their homes and subsequently developed heatstroke.
Romina Moschella, one of the veterinary surgeons on duty on Tuesday, said: “I am honestly in awe of the nurses, vets and support staff at Milton Keynes Veterinary Group. We all came together, knocking on doors trying to get people out, transporting patients to a safe place and saving lives. I honestly couldn't work with a better team.
“Our team at the branches had to work extra hard then and the following day whilst the Walnut Tree Hospital was unable to be used temporarily. Vets and nurses travelled to branches to help out and our reception team reschedule appointments and operations.”
She continued: “Everyone at Milton Keynes Veterinary Group passes their gratitude to The Tawny Owl pub for giving us a safe space, for helping us save lives and for supplying us with cold drinks, as well as helping keep our patients safe.
“To the firefighters, who had to cool their hands and feet in buckets of water due to the excessive heat, we are in awe of you. And to our local community, who came together immediately with offers of support and help – your support and kindness means the world to us all.”
Image (C) Milton Keynes Veterinary Group.