Your data on MRCVSonline
The nature of the services provided by Vision Media means that we might obtain certain information about you.
Please read our Data Protection and Privacy Policy for details.

In addition, (with your consent) some parts of our website may store a 'cookie' in your browser for the purposes of
functionality or performance monitoring.
Click here to manage your settings.
If you would like to forward this story on to a friend, simply fill in the form below and click send.

Your friend's email:
Your email:
Your name:
 
 
Send Cancel

BVA urges pet owners to be mindful of festive hazards this Christmas
Chocolate was reported as the top festive hazard for dogs. Followed by raisins or sultanas and then xylitol.

Eight in ten vets report seeing cases of toxic ingestion in 2019

BVA has issued a warning to pet owners about keeping pets away from chocolate, mince pies, Christmas puddings and decorations across the festive season, in response to findings from it's Voice of the Veterinary Profession survey.

The survey showed that 82 per cent of UK veterinary professionals working with companion animals saw at least one case of toxic ingestion across Christmas last year.

The most commonly reported cases involved a dog ingesting something dangerous. With chocolate ranking as the top edible hazard. 94 per cent of veterinary professionals reported seeing cases of chocolate ingestion in dogs during the Christmas break last year.

BVA's survey also found that cats were the most common animal to need veterinary treatment for ingesting non-edible items. 52 per cent of veterinary professionals who saw cases of toxic ingestion in cats last year stated that the animal had ingested seasonal plants like poinsettia, holly and mistletoe.

More than half of the veterinary professionals surveyed also treated cats for antifreeze poisoning.

BVA senior vice president Daniella Dos Santos said: “My advice to owners is to keep all edible goodies safely out of reach of inquisitive noses and to keep pets to their normal diets, avoiding feeding them any human food treats. If you are concerned that they have eaten something they shouldn’t, consult your vet straight away.

”With COVID-19 restrictions in place this year, many pet owners may be travelling away from home to spend Christmas with family and friends in their ‘bubbles’. So it is important to plan ahead for accessing emergency care if needed with practices who aren’t your local vets.”

 

Become a member or log in to add this story to your CPD history

VET Festival returns for 2022

News Story 1
 VET Festival, the unique CPD opportunity, is returning for 2022, running from 20 to 21 May.

The outdoor event, held at Loseley Park in Guildford, will feature 17 education streams, with a dedicated stream covering veterinary wellness, leadership and management topics. The festival will feature veterinary speakers from around the world, with the opportunity to collect 14 hours of CPD across the two-day event.

Alongside veterinary education, VET Festival will also offer wellbeing activities such as yoga and mindfulness activities, with the popular VETFest Live Party Night making a return for 2022.

Tickets available here.  

Click here for more...
News Shorts
Avian influenza housing order declared in Yorkshire

A new avian influenza prevention zone has been declared in North Yorkshire following the identification of H5N1 avian influenza at a number of premises.

The requirement means all bird keepers in Harrogate, Hambleton and Richmondshire are now legally required to keep their birds indoors and follow strict biosecurity measures.

Several other cases of H5N1 avian influenza have also been confirmed in recent days at sites in Essex, Cheshire and Cumbria. On Monday (22 November), the disease was identified near Wells-next-the-Sea, North Norfolk.