Cookie use on MRCVSonline
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies.
If you would like to forward this story on to a friend, simply fill in the form below and click send.

Your friend's email:
Your email:
Your name:
 
 
Send Cancel

Family find fox asleep on top of microwave
 
The fox had crawled in through the cat flap to get to the kitchen.
RSPCA tend to fox in family kitchen

A family in Mitcham called the RSPCA after finding a fox asleep on top of their microwave.

Kim Fryer explains how, while at home on 15 December, her daughter found the fox at approximately 7 a.m. and called to her mother for help:

“I came down and spotted this little fox curled up on top of the microwave!

“I have five cats and a dog so obviously I have a cat flap. He must have crawled under the gate and through the cat flap.

“A couple of my plants were smashed and there was mud everywhere.

“She put the light on and one eye opened but he didn’t move. We could tell there was something wrong with him.”

Having called the RSPCA, inspector Phil Norman transported the fox to the RSPCA Putney Animal Hospital in London.

Upon initial presentation, the fox appeared lethargic and very weak, but soon brightened up and no abnormalities were found.  

A hospital spokesperson stated: “He had got in through the cat flap and found a nice warm spot to sleep in. He was quite happy to be brought into the hospital for a health check but was understandably not keen on being in a cage.

“Fortunately, he was quite healthy with a beautiful fluffy coat, so after a thorough check over, he was released back to the area he was found in by one of the hospital staff. Good luck Mr. Fox!”

Image © RSPCA

Become a member or log in to add this story to your CPD history

New road sign to protect small wildlife

News Story 1
 Transport secretary Chris Grayling has unveiled a new road sign to help cut traffic accidents and protect small wildlife, particularly hedgehogs.

Local authorities and animal welfare groups are being asked to identify accident and wildlife hotspots where the sign - which features a hedgehog - should be located.

Government figures show that more than 600 people were injured in road accidents involving animals in 2017, and four people were killed. These figures do not include accidents involving horses. The new sign will be used to warn motorists in areas where there are large concentrations of small wild animals, including squirrels, badgers, otters and hedgehogs.  

Click here for more...
News Shorts
NOAH members re-elect Jamie Brannan as chair

Jamie Brannan, senior Vice President of Zoetis, has been re-elected as chair of NOAH for 2019/20, during this year’s AGM, held in London.

Mr Brannan joined Zoetis and the NOAH board in 2016, becoming NOAH’s vice-chair in 2018 and replacing Gaynor Hillier as chair later that year.

He commented: “I am extremely pleased to have been elected by the NOAH membership and am proud to be able to represent our industry at such a critical time for the UK animal health industry. I look forward to driving forward our new NOAH Strategy and to working with our members, old and new, in the coming year.”